THE STATE OF SOCIAL MARKETING
This report includes a survey of over 350 social marketing professionals, research and analysis of the top brands in the world spanning major social networks (using Simply Measured’s world-class analytics platform), and insight from interviews with dozens of industry experts and best-in-class social media marketers. In this report, you’ll learn:
• How companies of all sizes build their social media teams: Which roles and functions are important, which currently exist, and which are emerging as common trends.
• What challenges social media marketers face: Which are the biggest problems that social media teams have in 2016?
• What the functional needs that social media teams have in 2016: By mapping social strategy to the buyer’s journey, sophisticated social marketers are able to develop a framework for success in both the social marketing process and for their social analysis.
• Which social media networks have the most activity: Where are people most active, and where are brands engaging with them?
• What are the network-specific trends in 2016: Looking at the largest social networks in the U.S., what trends stand out for each one and what can brands learn?
• As the sophistication of social media professionals has grown, social media has found a home within the marketing team: The percentage of social media teams that live within the marketing organization has grown from 49% in 2015 to 63.2% in 2016.
• Measuring ROI is a massive problem: 61.1% of marketers identified “Measuring ROI” as their top challenge, and only 9.4% said that they’re able to quantify revenue driven by social.
• Social marketing programs are strained for resources: This is apparent in the 43% who cited social analytics as a primary need, and 42.6% who cited human resources.
• Instagram adoption is nearing complete penetration among brands: 94% of top brands have profiles, and 86% posted to the network in May.
• 100% of top brands have Twitter profiles, and 99% posted in the month of May